Remember André Carson, the Congressman who wants U.S. schools to be modeled after madrassas? A madrassa or madrasah is a Muslim school, college, or university that is often part of a mosque.
Steve Peacock reports for WND, July 21, 2012, that according to Federal Election Commission quarterly filings, thanks to large campaign donations, Rep. Andre Carson (D-Ind.) appears well-positioned, at least financially, to fend off Republican challenger Carlos May in November.
After a $206,000 infusion during the most recent period ending June 30, Carson’s total receipts for the 2011-2012 election cycle jumped to $778,000. Even with $531,000 in reported expenditures, Carson still has $490,000 in campaign cash remaining.
So who are the donors to Carson’s political campaign? They include:
1. An Obama appointee, Kerry J. Forestal, whom the POS appointed in 2010 to be U.S. Marshal for the Southern District of Indiana. The following are Forestal’s known political donations to Carson:
- $1,000 to Andre Carson for Congress, on Feb. 4, 2008. Carson defeated Republican John Elrod one month later in a special election to become one of the only two Muslims serving in Congress at the time.
- $1,000 on June 30, 2009.
- $1,000 on May 7, 2012.
- More than financial contributions to Carson, Forestal and two other high ranking sheriff department officials also appeared in full uniform in political ads for Andre Carson. Forestal also hosted a fundraiser on St. Patrick’s Day with Carson.
2. Then-White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel, who donated $2,000 in May 2008.
3. Then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who donated $2,000 in February 2008.
4. The Council of American Islamic Relations California PAC gave Carson $5,000 in August 2008.
5. The Arab American Leadership Council PAC donated $2,000 in October 2008.
6. Other group donors to Andre Carson in 2008 included the NEA (National Endowment for the Arts) Fund for Children and Public Education ($10,000, followed by $4,000 in 2010, and $1,000 in 2011), NARAL Pro-Choice America PAC ($6,000), and Moveon.Org PAC ($5,000).
7. Unions, such as American Federation of State County & Municipal Employees People donated $28,000 over the past five years, and the American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO Committee on Political Education, which donated $27,500 during that time.
8. Hundreds of thousands of dollars combined have come to Carson from financial and corporate special interests such as the General Dynamics Corporation PAC, General Electric Company PAC, Duke Energy Corporation PAC, Bank of America Corporation Federal PAC, and dozens of others.