Our Founding Fathers fought a brutal war to secure the right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.
This is what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776 [from "The Americans Who Risked Everything"]:
- 9 died of wounds or hardships during the Revolutionary War.
- 5 were captured and imprisoned, in each case with brutal treatment.
- Several lost wives, sons or entire families.
- One lost his 13 children.
- All were at one time or another the victims of manhunts and driven from their homes.
- 12 signers had their homes completely burned.
- 17 signers lost everything they owned.
- Yet not one defected or went back on his pledged word.
I wonder what they would think about the Americans below: