Supreme Court Dumps on the Majority of the United States!
Supreme Court Upholds Individual Mandate
- Posted on June 28, 2012 at 10:16am by Becket Adams
The court’s ruling comes as a major defeat for those who have been fighting the healthcare overhaul well before President Obama signed it into law in 2010. The bill was not dismantled entirely and its expansion of Medicaid, although now limited, still stands. This means roughly 30 millions of uninsured low-income Americans are still eligible for coverage through the bill’s expansion of the state-run entitlement program.
After hearing oral arguments on the constitutionality of the bill in March, the Supreme Court Justices focused on these four points:
- Whether the “individual” mandate is constitutional
- Whether SCOTUS has the authority to rule on a tax law even though it hasn’t come into effect
- If the individual mandate is overturned, will it be cut from the rest of the law as a separate entity or will other provisions fall with it?
- Whether the law’s Medicaid expansion is constitutional
Of the four points discussed, the Supreme Court ruled that, as a tax, the individual mandate is constitutional.
It doesn’t seem that way now.
Obama’s economic collapse is now complete.
Tom in NC