At a conference in Florida last month, Army Brigadier General Neil Tolley, commander of US special forces in South Korea, said that North Korea had built thousands of tunnels since the Korean war, which are hidden from our satellites. And so, Tolley revealed, “we send (South Korean) soldiers and US soldiers to the North to do special reconnaissance.”
A day after the UK’s Telegraph reported that news, quoting its source as the website of The Diplomat, the National Defense Industrial Association’s magazine, The Diplomat issued a disclaimer:
“In response to the controversy that has attended yesterday’s story on North Korea, The Diplomat has sought corroboration. While the author strongly disputes the contention that any quote was fabricated, we acknowledge the possibility that Brig. Gen. Tolley was speaking hypothetically, about future war plans rather than current operations. The author insists he heard no such qualification, but if there has been a misunderstanding then we regret any confusion.”
Indeed, both Tolley and the U.S. military insisted that no special operation forces have been sent into North Korea.
Now comes news that the same Brig. Gen. Tolley has been sacked!
The AP reports, June 5, 2012, that Tolley “has been replaced after reports quoted him as saying U.S. and South Korean special forces have been parachuting into North Korea on espionage missions.”
The U.S. military command in Seoul said Tuesday the departure of Tolley is a routine personnel change. Tolley had begun his job as chief of U.S. special forces in South Korea in October 2010, and officials say the posting usually lasts about two years.
If you believe that, you must also believe in the Easter Bunny!